Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Blessing of Victor

Victor is an older man, somewhat tall and thin. He isn't what many people imagine in his role as a Clinical Partner (vitals, getting me ice water, straightening my sheets for quite a few days. He is always quiet as he does his job vigilant and with a level of perfectiom-  his compassion for his patients is evident. In all our days he has simply introduced himself. No other words were spoken.
Last night he came in about 4 am to take my vitals. He looked gently at me then glanced to Brett sound asleep.
Victor said "You have true love. I have quietly observed you both. I don't see this often."
I told him yes I agreed, and I am truely very blessed. And we discussed that he also had been married 33 amazing years. He asked about my children which I of course bragged and asked about his. He shared he had lost his son of a rare respiratory disease in 2007 at the age of 22. I shared the loss of Miah. How no parent should ever suffer what he had. It was as if he had never discussed it with anyone. As he left for the night he came in and looked me in the eyes and said "You will never know what tonight meant to me."
Never underestimate the power of a simple kind word. He was here to care for just very basic needs and in the end we both were blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, we just need some basic comfort from someone that just comes in and out of our lives for a short period...

    Sounds like Victor was that kind of person. I think I like him for seeing that you needed to reach out and he did too

    ReplyDelete