Sunday, February 19, 2012

Que Syrah Syrah

During my illness my parents gave me a great sign "Que Syrah Syrah" - "what will be will be". A reminder that my constant worrying doesn't change a thing! Perhaps I need it tattooed on my arm.

On Thursday as we sat in the waiting room at the endocrinologists office, I found myself a bundle of nerves. I was terrified of the unknown. Isn't that always what we fear the most?

A man came in late thirties early forties. He sat down and immediately began telling us how over many years his health had deteriorated and just two weeks prior he had a heart transplant. As he shared his experiences my mind wandered very quickly away from my own issues. Initially, I was thankful for the distraction. As he continued to talk I realized that while my situation has seemed so scary - I haven't required an organ transplant. He later mentioned briefly the thought that someone else lost their life to give him life. I could hear a struggle. Why was he given life over someone else?

We all have our challenges. This strangers story was unique and emotional to him. I know so many friends that have experienced their own challenges. Some resulting in wonderful success in the end, some diagnosed with chronic illness and pain that has forever changed their day to day life, a few that despite fighting the unimaginable have died far to young.

Mom, Jeanie, Carrie, Michealle, Nance, Lenny, Zach your strength and courage are my inspiration. Miah, Tammy and Gina you fought courageous battles and were taken so early from this earth.

In the end for all of us, what will be will be. We fight, we do our best to be strong, to maintain our improve our health. Ultimately, no matter your spiritual beliefs worrying isn't going to change the end result. Arguably, it may even make it worse. So, no matter your individual challenge today or tomorrow - remember - Que Syrah Syrah ......

No comments:

Post a Comment