Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Making Adjustments due to Chronic Illness

One of the major things I am still working on is how do I address  my physical challenges in my day to day life. My symptoms have varied over the course of the past few years and it seems as though just as I think I know what may work something changes.

Perhaps the most consistent challenge throughout has been learning that I simply can't plan things. My body is inconsistent and no matter how hard I try, I can't predict how I will feel day to day much less hour to hour. My physical condition limits basic functions like driving, making meals, basic cleaning up, even shaving my legs, fixing my hair or applying makeup. I am unable to make even short term social or work commitments more than with a tentative response.

I love cooking, vintage clothing, thrift shopping, pinup modeling, rockabilly events, swing dancing and running. The first thing I lost was running - when this began I was running 3-5 miles 5 days a week. Now just slowly walking for 10 minutes results in pain and exhaustion. My weight has sky rocketed, modeling is not an option at this time. The weight gain has also forced me to change how I dress for the time being.

Other things I have found much easier to work with. Cooking I depend on my crockpot, KitchenAide, a chopper, and cook when my tremors are calm and my energy is up. This way I enjoy the process of cooking still and dinner is usually ready early which relieves stress later if things get bad.

As far as going to events, parties, dinners, I am trying to learn that for now my body is in charge. Sometimes I am just not up to it. I think the hardest part of this is in the end when its a bad day - everyone either proceeds with plans and I am stuck bummed OR they cancel on my account. It seems like such a horrible situation regardless. Just no right answer. For me this is perhaps the biggest challenge. We do a lot of bbqs and casual dinners with friends at our house which is wonderful.

So today I pose a question to my readers. What adjustments have you had to make in order to cope with your chronic illness or perhaps a past illness our injury? What about adjustments to your hobbies and activities that you enjoy? Whats the hardest challenges?

No comments:

Post a Comment