Sunday, February 12, 2012

What have I experienced - Pituitary Adenoma

I had a few folks ask for clarification yesterday after my blog.  I have a confirmed pituitary adenoma. For now it is assumed this is the source of my health issues. I believe that this has been the source for quite sometime now. I can actually look back to health issues nearly 8 or 9 years ago and wonder if perhaps this goes back that far. I had a myriad of symptoms and the doctor was positive that I had an adrenal problem. The tests were negative, however, my pituitary was never checked.

I try to find a balance educating myself about a diagnosis online. I personally need to have information to feel at ease. The unknown totally freaks me out. I am cautious to look at sites such as Cedar Sinai (recommended by my physician), UCLA, John Hopkins. All provide some very good information on the condition and it's variety of concerns, effects, treatments, etc. It's helped me to understand why I have some of the symptoms I have experienced for SO LONG!!!

Just a basic "list" - diarrhea, nausea, racing heart rate (I've been told this was anxiety, but I didn't feel anxious just like my heart was beating out of my chest), mood swings, headaches, problems with my periods I don't even know how to detail - I ended up having a partial hysterectomy to "stop" part of those symptoms...myoclonic seizures, essential tremors, loss of balance, dropping things (same hand as tremor), unbearable joint pain, muscle weakness, bruising, hair loss (hand fulls), acne - quite odd in nature really, facial sinus pressure, insomnia, fatigue. Any attempt to exercise - I mean walking slowly for 10 minutes I would be so sore no amount of muscle relaxers, narcotics, anti-inflammatories would treat the pain for a couple of days. Pain so intense I can't sleep. Heat intolerance (sweat like crazy if it's the SLIGHTEST bit warm), cold intolerance...the past two days I have been melting. I prefer the cold intolerance. I can always seem to get warmer.

I'm not saying any of this to complain or for sympathy. I want to be clear on that. My whole purpose of this blog is to educate, help others dealing with the same thing really. I started this process and I looked and looked. Finding something, someone experiencing anything like I was - I never found it. It is so frustrating and so lonely to go through an illness - undiagnosed and without anyone that is or has experienced what you are going through.

I started today's blog - I was going to talk about dealing with the diagnosis. I am a bit focused on the physical symptoms right now. My symptoms the past week have been yuck. I feel rotten. As has gotten so common, it is affecting my ability to function even simple tasks - cleaning around the house, work, interactions with family and friends. The last few days the gastrointestinal symptoms have been awful. The headache and pressure strong, as well as the muscle and joint pain. Last night my heart rate was crazy and as usual lead to a myoclonic seizure and ativan injection.

My emotional reaction is all over the place. I guess in time I'll get better in touch with that and how I'm feeling. I'm not really sure how to put it all into words quite yet. I'll get there... Maybe next time? Till then, please feel free to ask questions or comment, what not. I'm open.

No comments:

Post a Comment