Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fun, Friends, Fatigue and Pain

I can't tell you how many blogs I start and never finish or finish and never post. Something just is off in it. I re-read and I feel my words aren't really an accurate reflection of my emotions or experiences. I drift off topic, babble, or I just know that the point I am reaching for is somehow missing. This struggle is representative of my daily challenge - no matter how wonderful things are I am constantly reminded that my body is rebelling. The negativity of illness, pain, fatigue seem to constantly be fighting to overshadow the wonderful blessings life offers.

This weekend I have started two and they sit in the drafts folder. Each very different from the other. One is about the different types of friends in my life. The other, my screaming frustration in dealing with whatever this journey through pain is.

I was blessed to spend time with great friends both Friday and Saturday night. This week phone conversations and emails from friends have touched me and provided strength and reality. Somehow each experience was interrupted or changed by the fatigue and/or pain.

Friday night we got together with a friend from childhood, her husband, as well as some local friends to enjoy a favorite band. Saturday was a nice, long sushi dinner with wonderful people we don't see enough. Laughter and conversations were plenty.

I had a wonderful time, I am so lucky to have friendships that survived not just the nonsense of elementary, junior high and high school but careers, marriages, and thousands of miles. We get together and the conversation, the laughter is as if we still see each other every weekend. Add that the newer friends that have been through the last few years with us. I consider myself beyond blessed when I look at the friends God has blessed me with.

Friday, the band was awesome as usual, drinks were flowing - a true St. Patty's Day celebration! Getting ready to go out, I would always wear stillettos! Concert, club, bar - stillettos required wardrobe. I was just jerky enough that while considering my outfit, I realized not only did I not have the energy or pain tolerance to try a couple outfits - I also was jerky as hell and thus asking to fall if I wore my preferred heels.  Jeans, t-shirt and chucks that's it! No rings fingers are swollen at joints. Dancing, not even an option, my balance is off for one, two my joints can't tolerate much movement at all.  Drinking - very minimal with meds as well as my body just doesn't like it these days. I sat and every little bit walked around some. Two and a half hrs into the night, exhaustion, back and hip pain is a 6/7, by the time we said our goodbyes and got home my pain level was at 8. Fighting tears from the pain I took everything I could and waited. Two hrs later I finally got down to a 6. The pain stayed into the next day.

Saturday night quick throw together (Time up in front of the mirror = less fun with friends) - I am getting pretty creative with this. Dinner was wonderful. Two hrs from meds bam pain. Nothing more to take, 6/7 level pain. Not long after, my ears turned red, lips turned red, red splotches, upset stomach. We raced home, horrible end to perfect night. This doesn't begin to address the pain.

Sunday, slept late and thought I can do a little housework. Started a load of laundry, picked up the bedroom (5 mins max) and vacuummed. Yep pain and back in bed for about 4 hrs. Some chaos with the kids later on - I feel like I need my whole body massaged 24 hrs later. Chaos later in the day, getting dinner - welcome jerking. I slept about 2 hrs woke up because I got into yhe wrong position and OUCH. PLUS, the dreams were so non-stop and exhausting I felt almost better off awake.

I explain all of this out of frustration and to explain, document what is happening. I have people tell me I hurt because I am to still, if I would do more physical I may feel better. I have tried over and over and over. Arguably everyday I do something physical and everyday I suffer pain from it for days to follow. If I walk much of a distance I have the pleasure of my right leg turning inward and then only dragging behind as I walk. Yoga only do the most basic gentle stretches per the doctors, even these result in tremors and jerking often times. I keep doing, keep trying. I don't know how to explain the pain, the reality is it affects every aspect of me. I am so done hearing well what if you, well maybe if you just...I know its well meaning but after three years I am starting to feel like what I need is a diagnosis not - try to walk, sleep less, try stretching, why does it hurt, why can't you sleep....? Ahhhhh

PS: I wrote this mostly Sunday night but didn't get it posted. I saw my pain management doctor yesterday for the first time since August. She is echoing my strong feelings of a rheumatoid basis, lupus or RA and if that fails she is going back to movement disorders again. She pulled up test results during the appointment from my hospitalization in August. She pointed out that the lupus panel results were basically inconclusive based on the amount of steroids they had pumped into my back over the past week. Despite the steroids my ana levels were slightly elevated. I guess we shall see what the next week tells us.

No comments:

Post a Comment